BYOT - Pedia
Welcome to the BYOT-Pedia, a resource and discussion page for the teachers of Eagle’s Landing Christian Academy. ELCA is one of the newest schools to become a part of the BYOT(Bring Your Own Technology) technology initiative for the classroom. In higher education, this idea is not really that new. It has become second nature for a student to bring a laptop and their mobile device to a class. A BYOT program is only as good as a classroom teacher can make it. But with the increase access to more mobile devices (such as tablets and laptops), an instructor might wonder, how can they engage classroom students while they use their own devices? This page serves as a collaborative space for educators to answer such questions. Teachers in the BYOT program will work together to create a list of resources aimed to successfully implement this program.
1. Technology is a tool that enhances pedagogy. Technology should always be at the service of pedagogy. The power of integrating technology into the classroom is the power it has to redefine the relationships in the classroom and reorient them toward a more student-centered approach to learning.
2. When using devices in the classroom, the teacher must ensure that there is a specific learning outcome connected to the device.
3. Teachers need to have procedures in place, teach and model those procedures as needed, monitor students and hold them accountable for proper device usage. (Examples: “Device on, Device off” signs, etc.)
4. Students need to fully understand that electronic items are tools for learning. Teachers should make consistent efforts to refer to them as mobile learning devices.
5. Unacceptable use is dealt with according to school policy. This should not be considered different than any other infraction.
6. Collaboration concerning effective practices in specific content areas will increase instructional technology in the classroom.
The links below are 3 presentations given by middle school teachers on BYOT Day 1. Please feel free to use the information in your class:
The links below provide helpful professional development resources for teachers in the BYOT program: